Monday 21 September 2009

Royal Albert Hall

We sat a row from the 138 year old back of the Royal Albert Hall
It quickly became apparent that the back row was a french kiss free zone
The huge belly of the hall is empty
The stomach lining packed with hungry audience
Musicians walk to the stage upon a road paved with slabs of polite applause
Males dressed in white
Females dressed in black
Chess pieces come together to form one team
A team free from pawns or royalty
The delicate sound of a single violin fills the belly of the beast in an instant
A full sunday dinner in a strawberry
The chess pieces celebrate like opposing armies playing football on christmas day
Storm clouds gather around the sound discs as Beethoven brings the outside in
My senses are arrested by 5000 riot police on horseback armed with musical instruments
Waves of vertigo wash over me forcing my eyes to clench shut
Warm towels of sound soak up the waves
I am at ease once more
The audience sit drenched in beauty
For the first time in my life I had witnessed the RRRRAAAAHHHH of the Royle Albert Hall.

No comments: