Tuesday 7 April 2009

Visitors are only by appointment.

A taxidermists showroom sits still on the Essex road. It goes by the name of Get Stuffed.
I bet the owner was rather pleased with himself when he or she thought of that.
Rusted cages cover the shop front. Did the owner think of that as well? A sick joke mocks life itself as I peer through the filthy window.
The lion has been roaring the same roar in the direction of the turkey for what looks like years.
The Turkey is thinking, “I shouldn’t be here.”
The monkey sits next to the pigeon.
The monkey is looking at the mounted head of the reindeer hanging on the wall. As Rudolph’s head will one day on Santa’s wall.
At least I kept my body thinks the monkey.
The wild boar next to the panther
The blackbird next to the snake
The armadillo next to the parrot
The meerkat next to the mere cat
Their pasts behind them. Their futures behind them.
The wild dog bares his teeth, still as the core of the moon.
Somebody’s pressed pause on this carpeted Zoo.
Eyes glisten in the slice of the ark.
I don’t think Noah would like this shop very much.
The best still life I’ve ever seen.

No comments: